10.26.2009

The Stir Fry's Alright!

Stir fry's are a great way to get lots of vegetables into your belly and can be made in a variety of ways. To be honest - this isn't my normal stir fry. I usually like to add soy sauce and teriyaki to the veggies. But as I try to steer my family towards more healthy options, I opted for a stir fry that relies on dried herbs and spices for flavor rather than a sodium-filled sauce. This is an adaptation from a garbanzo bean stir fry I found on, you guessed it, allrecipes.com, (SERIOUSLY - I LOVE that site). To cater to my family's likes and dislikes I changed things up a bit. Needless to say, neither Ronnie or Matt were the biggest fans of my healthier-option stir fry - I on the other hand enjoyed it enough to think it was good enough for my blog! So, it just depends on your preferences and if you like the fresher taste of lightly seasoned vegetables over rice, this is your stir fry.
To start out I prep the vegetables, washing a chopping a red onion....

A zucchini....




And some mushrooms...




I open a can of garbanzo beans and rinse them in a colander.




Once all the prep is done, this really is a fast and easy meal to get together. Once olive oil is warm in the wok, I add minced garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil.




After about 5 minutes, I add the onions, zucchini and garbanzo beans to the oil mix. I let this cook until the veggies are starting to soften while stirring every few minutes.





On the left of me I boil some water and add two bags of brown rice. I'm not proud, I have been known to use the rice bags - they are easy and fast!!! I really need to invest in a rice cooker though... I had one, but then returned it because I want one with a timer so I can set it in the morning and have it be ready when I get home... I am still searching for that...


Once the original stir fry veggies are cooked through, I add in the mushrooms, dried cilantro, and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little kick of flavor.


As the mushrooms start to soften, I add in about 3/4th's of a can of diced tomatoes, undrained.




When the rice is done I drain the bags and return it to the pan, fluffing it with a fork. I plate the rice and then top it with the stir fry mix! Dinner is served!




As I said before, my meat-eating finance and son didn't care that much for the meal - they ate it, but I am pretty sure they want me to try something else next time! I looked at them and said - Welcome to healthy eating suckas!!! LOL - anyway - I enjoyed this meal, and if you want a quick weeknight meal that won't bust your calorie or fat grams for the day - TRY THIS!!! You could do any veggies and play with the herbs and spices yourself! Let me know what you come up with!!!

No comments: