10.20.2009

Feeling a Little South of the Border

If there is one thing my family can agree on when it comes to food, it's that Mexican food is GOOD! Mexican is also one of the easiest food genre's to veggi-fy! Just replace the meat with some veggies or beans (or both) - and you are good to go! This post is no exception. I stumbled upon something similar on (you guessed it) allrecipes.com, and I decided to change things up a bit and try it. To be honest, Matt loved this so much it completely made his crappy day into rainbows and unicorns... LOL! So if that's not enough to convince you to try it - I don't know what is. To start out I chop all my veggie's for the filling: onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and zucchini.

The original recipe called for roasting the vegetables, but unless it's the weekend - I absolutely cannot be wasting time to get dinner on the table before 7:00 PM! So, instead of roasting the veggies, I used my wok and stir fried them. Letting some olive oil heat up, I add minced garlic to the oil.




Once the olive oil is hot, I add the vegetables. At this point I also add in some chili powder, cumin powder, and fresh ground pepper to the vegetables. My kitchen starts to smell like awesome-ness at this point!




All while the vegetables are in the wok cooking, I am also boiling water, some butter and milk to make instant mashed potatoes! To be honest, I have never made instant mashed potatoes before! Maybe it was my Dad's persistence that my mom make the real ones every time, but it was just something I never ate or made. If I was making this on the weekend, and actually roasting the vegetables, yeah - I would make real mashed potatoes. But to get dinner on the table quickly - I went for the boxed stuff! These potatoes are ALSO going to be for my enchilada filling!




Now that the veggies and the potatoes are done, I combine them in the wok.




Now it's officially time to start assembling the enchiladas. I used canned enchilada sauce and pour one can onto a big plate. I then dip a tortilla into the sauce on both sides. This is usually a pretty messy process and I always have a towel on my shoulder so I can wipe excess food off my fingers.




I then place the tortilla on a plate and add my vegetable mixture and a bit of shredded cheese.


To be honest, if it wasn't for the enchilada sauce, these would be more like burritos. So really, if enchilada sauce isn't your thing, you could easily just make these into burritos and serve with some salsa and sour cream! But, I AM making enchiladas here - So I assemble my filled tortillas into my 9X13 pan.


Once all the tortillas have been assembled, I pour a second can of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.



When they are ready to come out, I remove the enchiladas from the oven and let them sit at room temperature for about 5 to 10 minutes. I then scoop them out onto a plate and serve with a dollop of sour cream and some sliced black olives. Like I said before - these turned out FANTASTIC! A great and easy dinner for sure! To make a complete meal serve with some guacamole and chips on the side!!! Also - these are filling!!! And they made a PERFECT lunch the next day at work!




As I stated last time, I am making a stir fry - well I actually did and I took pictures - so that will be my next post for sure! Till then - HAPPY COOKING!

No comments: