11.17.2009

After a long search, I finally found one!

I am embarrassing myself a bit here and admitting that I never had Indian food till I met my fiance. Yeah, I know - a Cincinnati native where there are Indian restaurants on every corner downtown and on the east side... But somehow I never got around to trying it.
For our first official date out (2 years and 9 months ago - crazy how time moves), Matt took me to Clifton's Ambar India on Ludlow and ever since then I have been completely hooked! Seriously, I feel like I could eat there at least once a week, but my pocketbook won't allow it as the prices aren't that cheap! So, not too long ago I thought I would try preparing Indian food myself. My first attempt went horribly wrong and it was a long time till I tried it again. Trying recipe after recipe, I could never get the authentic taste to happen in my own kitchen. Then I found this recipe: Spicy Vegan Potato Curry. Not only does this recipe give me that Indian flavor that I have grown to love, it is also SUPER easy (it's almost no prep - you only chop potatoes and onions), and SUPER tasty! I serve the curry over rice and have nan bread on the side for the extra sauce!!!
To start out, I cube about 5 potatoes and boil them in salted water for about 15 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, I heat some olive oil in my wok (woks: not just for Chinese food!) and add 1 medium chopped onion and a couple spoonfuls of minced garlic.



Here is something kind of different I like to do, when preparing a recipe that requires a lot of spices, I like to get them all measured and mixed together in a small dish so I am not reaching for different things in my cabinet while also trying to measure and stir. It just seems to make the job a lot easier for me when I am trying to do 7 different things at once. Here you'll find all the different spices that make this curry wonderful: cumin, cayenne, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and salt. It really is a perfect combination for a homemade curry!




Once the onions are tender, I add the entire mix of spices. I let the spices cook together for about 5 minutes before I add the remaining ingredients. Be sure you keep the mixture moving in the pot, otherwise it starts to stick and burn, which is never good!



The first addition to the curry in an undrained can of diced tomatoes.




After the tomatoes have been mixed in, I add in a can of drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, and about 3/4th's cup of thawed and drained frozen peas. This is also about the time I drain my potatoes in the colander...




And then I dump those into the curry mix! Mmmm - potatoes! The kitchen is really starting to smell good as everything starts to cook together. Also - while all of this is going on, I am cooking some rice as well (didn't think a picture of cooked rice was necessary).


I mix everything quite well, and some of the soft potatoes start to mash a little - you want this! It helps make the curry have a nice creamy texture!


And now for the final touch - I add a 14 oz can of coconut milk. If you are planning on making this (and quite frankly you are silly if you don't) DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT substitute regular milk. The coconut milk is key to the curry's texture and flavor. I let this all simmer for about 10 more minutes and then it is time for dinner!!!




As I stated before, I serve this curry over rice with some nan on the side. This particular recipe makes a HUGE batch. Enough for Matt and I to have dinner and lunch the next day, along with freezing some for later. I cannot be more serious when I say this dish is FABULOUS! If you are like me and have failed at Indian cuisine before - try this tonight and I promise it will be a win!!!




Next post, a truly original Luckey's Lunch sandwich - Jalapeno Melts!!! See ya soon! (And wish me luck! I started the new term at Cincinnati State yesterday!)

No comments: