8.25.2009

Eggs and Pancakes in the Late Evening

Remember that last post when I said I always make Steve's Famous Garlic Home Fries when I make breakfast? Well... I... kind of lied. Though that statement really is about 99% true, I amuse myself right now because this next post consists of breakfast... minus the home fries (oops!) Any-hoo, this breakfast was a battle between good and evil. Good because I made a fairly healthy breakfast sandwich and our pancakes had apples in them, bad because we top the pancakes with butter and powdered sugar. Meh - Ronnie would have never ate the sandwich (I can get him to eat over-easy eggs, but he won't eat scrambles or omelets - how weird is that), and he has been begging for Matt to make apple pancakes for weeks now!
Just like the black bean burritos, these apple pancakes are a Matt original. He starts by skinning, coring and slicing 2-3 medium sized apples. He them sprinkles the apples with nutmeg and cinnamon.
Matt then mixes the apples in a pancake mixture. We always just buy the box-stuff that can make pancakes or biscuits. You just throw in some milk and an egg and you are good to go!
All while Matt is working on the pancakes, I am on the other side of the kitchen working on the sandwiches. Cooking Light's Smoked Mozzarella, Spinach and Pepper Omelet Sandwiches to be exact! I start by sauteing finely chopped red bell pepper and onion with just a little bit of olive oil.

After the veggies are tender, I then dump in a mixture of 3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, about 10 shakes of hot sauce, salt and pepper. This is *supposed* to be an omelet, so taking a spatula to the sides while tilting the pan is the way I prepared the eggs.

I then start to prepare the bread which consists of english muffins and some expensive smoked mozzarella cheese. These will go under the broiler for a few minutes. (Note - after dinner Matt mentioned that he would rather have the muffins toasted so they would be crispy all around. I didn't mind the broiler effect - but everyone's different!) Also I covered my egg pan handle with foil and stuck the eggs under the broiler too - it helped cook the top wet part of the eggs!



Matt on the other side of the kitchen was working my awesome new griddle that Ronnie gave me for my birthday! Griddles are absolutely THE BEST at cooking things like pancakes and over-easy eggs!



Matt has this great talent of frying bread... Grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes... He always seems to know the perfect time to flip them! That's why he is in charge of this stuff! I always burn them or they are not done enough when I flip foods like this on a pan or griddle.


My omelet and muffins come out of the oven looking lovely! And now it is time to assemble the sandwich!


First layer is the muffin and the now warm and gooey smoked mozzarella cheese!



Next I top the cheese with the omelet. This actually made way more than would fit on the muffin, so we had some extra on the side and it was quite tasty!

To add some greenery I top the omelet with fresh baby spinach. (As I have mentioned before - I LOVE spinach!)

Finally, the top half of the muffin and broiled smoked mozzarella complete the sandwich! This ended up being a pleasant surprise. Matt thinks I should have seasoned the eggs more, but I really enjoyed the simplicity of the eggs. It really lets the smoked mozzarella be the center of attention. I feel like if the eggs had been seasoned more, they would have been competing with the cheese making it a bit too much!



Then there's Ronnie favorite part of the meal! Matt's simple yet delicious apple pancakes! As I said before, no syrup for these bad boys! A little bit of butter and powdered sugar is all these need and they won't last long! Promise!


Next post is a special Cool Kids Grill Out post! My friends and I are having an end-of-the-summer BBQ and I thought it would be fun to ask them about their dishes and take some pictures! I am really excited about it and I hope it goes well. Not all the dishes will be vegetarian (because there are only 2 veggies in my network of close friends, myself included) but most should be veg-head friendly!

No comments: